Objectives: This retrospective study sought to determine the feasibility of transcatheter atrial septal defect device closure in patients less than 15 kg, as well as to assess complication rates and the reasons for unsuccessful device closure.

Background: In general, the risks associated with transcatheter atrial septal defect device closure are believed and reported to be relatively low, but the evidence stems from trials involving adults and older children. Current guidelines do not recommend atrial defect closure in device closure in children < 15kg, due to limited data available for feasibility and safety of device closure in this group of patients.

Methods: Retrospective review of all patients who underwent elective transcatheter closure of ostium secundum atrial septal defect between September 2013 to February 2022. We excluded all children above 15 kg, as well as those with complex congenital heart defects. Major and minor complications were predefined and indications for referral were evaluated.

Results: We identified 81 patients meeting criteria with a median procedural age of 3 years (1 year to 8 years), and median weight of 12 kg (4 to 15 kg). Successful device closure was achieved in 95.1% (77/81) and in 4.9% (4/81), the procedure was aborted. There was 1 major (1.2%) and 1 minor (1.2%) complication, total complication rate (2.4%). 100% of the referrals had right heart enlargement and exertional dyspnoea, 18.5% had recurrent lower respiratory tract infection and 9.9% had failure to thrive. Rate of resolution of residual shunt was 95.1%.at post-procedure day 1 and 98.8% at post-procedure 3 and 6 months respectively. Conclusions: Percutaneous atrial septal defect closure can be done effectively and safely in symptomatic children weighing less than 15 kg in experienced centres. However, deferral for closure until the historically established timeline of around 4 to 5 years of age should be strongly considered in asymptomatic children.

Creative Commons License

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 4.0 License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 4.0 License.

Included in

Cardiology Commons